Friday 13 April 2012

Footprints of Shadows Gone


The cameos people sometimes make in our lives are so many that we usually lose counts of them. sometimes it's for the obvious good and other times our heart don't seem so comfortable with them. It becomes a load on our hearts when the person taking the bow is entrenched at the very corners of our hearts. The question then becomes "why don't they stay there for a little longer?"

One day, when the sun was almost Set, at twilight, I found myself on a dusty lonely road leading to a small village. At a point I was wondering what has taken me to such lonely path, where all I see are birds and flies buzzing and hustling to settle in their nest after a hard day of search and stone swerving. Whiles my mind was on a pilgrimage, my eyes were feasting on the amazement of sheer colour and beauty these little creatures bring to the scene. My thought was suddenly broken by the approach of a lady at the opposite direction. Judging by the dust on her feet, she has covered a lot of grounds. Her face was plane with doubt, like someone who can't find her way out of a maze. I could see there were questions she wanted answers for. She reluctantly spoke to me; "Do you live around here?" I wanted to be as funny as I could to see if I could draw a smile from her so I answered "I'm as lost as yourself" (well, I failed, she didn't even wiggle her lips) then she started pouring out her troubles, where she thought she was going and why she was at that place at that moment. She had an interesting story to tell from where she was coming. I thought she was beautiful cos she had teeth so unusual of a village girl; so beautiful. I saw a friend in her, at the spot I knew I've found a friend, though at an unusual place. She was very comfortable talking to me as if she's known me forever. I wished I could take her home, I wished I could spend the rest of the day with her…so many wishes flashed my imagination. Alas! It didn't last...it was a moment too soon to come to an end. "the darkness is nigh, people like me still have grounds to cover, we would have to depart", she said. Reluctantly I agreed. I went home with her in my thought…I woke up the next morning, still thinking of this encounter.

The next day ran slowly and later it was evening, just as the same time. I took to the road again with hopes of seeing her so strong. I got there, waited and even went ahead to the direction I saw her going. I visited few homes around to see if I could see her. Nothing happened, I didn't see her. Seven days in a row I kept going there but…it was fruitless.
She made me a friend and left me in wander land.

In our ups and downs on the path of life, we meet such people who don't need forever to carve a shape for themselves in our heart. The impressions they leave ripples on the brooks of our hearts. We wonder how It didn't last forever. But the hours a character spend on stage doesn't necessarily make the story, what weaves the fabric of the story is the contribution the character makes in developing the story, it doesn't need to be long. Sometimes a cameo is all it takes to make impression on your audience, how well you handle your cameo is all that matters. People can make a forever out of a second, what it takes is what you put in there. A blazing trail of footprints is worth everything. Life is short but too long. We don't have all day. Very soon the stage has to be cleared, the audience needs to go home but the question is, when you take a bow, would you deserve a thundering applause or just a mention? Would the audience shout your name with an encore? Baby, your audience (friends) paid a lot to be here, to see you play your part. Don't bored them to sleep, get their heart enchanted so you can be worthy of the last applause.


No comments:

Post a Comment