Tuesday 3 April 2012

When The Dream is Dreamt By Artists: (Why I'm 1312Dreams)

I was born on the 13th of December, at a period when my family wasn't doing too well. As a child growing up in a peasant community with my grandma, I didn't have a lot to enjoy apart from going to the farm with my granny and ask questions that bothered my little brains. My grandma was an avid story teller. She had a way of putting my imagination to work anytime she tells a story. Sometimes I could even imagine myself being the hero of the story…it was really awesome the things I could imagine myself do.

One day, everything changed. My grandma died and I had to change home. It was very difficult for my young heart to bear. I remember counting all the things I was going to miss through the change of home; my little room, friends, my backyard garden, surrounding trees and my two caged birds, but I had to move on. That was the first of ten homes I would later change.

My first day at my new school, my teacher told me a story that would later reawaken my senses of imagination and open a whole new concept of life to me. The title of the story (as I later grew up to know) is "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" and just three days ago I watched a 1962 adaptation of the story. That story was everything that changed my perception of life and opened a new horizon of dreams to me. I understood the power of dreams that day and since then, I've always loved to wander in dreams and allow myself to be in wonderful places only my mind could allow me to be. I don't treat life as evanescence as I used to but have shaped my desires to treasure every little moments of life and also take moments to say hello to little things life has to offer. I've always seen myself as that prisoner on the bridge of Owl Creek. The distance between life and death was an inch tall but he dreamt. He dreamt of a road back home into the arms of a loving wife and kids. He made an escape in his mind's eye. The soldiers thought they've captured him but in the beauty of his dreams, he was running to meet a family he left behind. He even had had time to smell the rose along his path, looked into the skies and breathed again.

The impact this story had on me was so immense that I had no option but to add "dreams" to my date of birth and make it a name. It's my spiritual name as you may call it. I had life on the 13/12/19..and I have dreams to live on.
I've always believed in the power of dreams. I believe in the refreshing dew it spills on the spirit and the serene rest it gives to the laboured soul. like Thomas Edward Lawrence said, "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible." Dream on…


Those who want to read the story, here's the link: http://fiction.eserver.org/short/occurrence_at_owl_creek.html

Those who want to watch too: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqnSX4SJ_A


No comments:

Post a Comment